Primary Vehicle Information
- Mileage 61,024
- Exterior Color Metallic Wine Red
- Interior Color Tan Leather
- Body Style Saloon
- Transmission Automatic
- Fuel Type Unleaded
- Doors Four
Coachwork by H J Mulliner
Chassis no. BC.65.AR
Engine no. A.64.BC
This Bentley S2 Continental features the elegant, H J Mulliner-designed, ‘Flying Spur’ four-door coachwork, and is one of 71 with right-hand drive out of a total of 125 completed in this style on the S2 chassis.
Eulogising about Bentley’s new ‘S’-series cars, introduced in April 1955, The Autocar wrote, ‘the latest Bentley model offers a degree of safety, comfort and performance that is beyond the experience and perhaps even the imagination of the majority of the world’s motorists.’ Later, in October that same year, the Bentley Continental became available on the ‘S’ chassis, the model having been synonymous with effortless high speed cruising in the grand manner since its introduction in R-Type form in 1952.
Having relied exclusively on six-cylinder engines since civilian production resumed at the war’s end, Rolls-Royce secured its long-term future by turning to V8 power as the 1960s approached. Introduced in the autumn of 1959, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2 appeared externally unchanged from their Silver Cloud and S-Type predecessors, though their performance was considerably enhanced by the new 6,230cc aluminium-alloy engine. Power-assisted steering was now standard and there was no longer the option of a manual gearbox, Rolls-Royce’s own four-speed automatic transmission being the sole offering.
The S2 Continental chassis differed by virtue of its shorter radiator, four-leading-shoe front drum brakes and – up to chassis number BC99BY – higher gearing. Independent coachbuilders continued to offer alternatives to the factory’s ‘standard steel’ bodywork, perhaps the most stylish being those produced to cloth the Bentley Continental which was, of course, only ever available with bespoke coachwork.
Rolls-Royce had envisaged the Bentley Continental as exclusively a two-door car, but late in 1957 the decision was taken to sanction the production of a four-door variation by H J Mulliner. Introduced on the S1 Continental and known as the ‘Flying Spur’, this design was a collaborative effort by Rolls-Royce’s in-house styling department and H J Mulliner, and bore a strong resemblance both to the two-door Continental and to existing coachbuilt four-door styles on Rolls-Royce and (non-Continental) Bentley chassis. To the Continental’s existing qualities of pace and elegance, the Flying Spur added four-door practicality, a more spacious interior and generously proportioned boot. The Flying Spur body style continued on the V8-engined S2 Continental and was revised to incorporate the S3’s four-headlamp front end following the latter’s introduction in 1962.
Chassis number ‘BC.65.AR’ was ordered new by one A W Gemuseus of Zurich, Switzerland and delivered to him via Garage l’Athenée following its appearance at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1960. It is understood that the Bentley remained in his possession until 1967 when it was bought by a Mr Siggs of Siggs & Chapman Ltd in Croydon in July of that year. There is only one further owner recorded on the accompanying R-REC chassis card: N Hamilton-Wal, who acquired it in March 1993. The current vendor purchased the car in April 2000 from Chelsea Cars Ltd who it is believed acquired it from Lord Jonathan Allaby. After purchase by the vendor the Bentley then spent the next nine months being completely restored. The body was stripped down and repainted in the present wine/red colour; the interior was reupholstered and all the woodwork brought back to its original condition; and the modern radio replaced with one from the original period. The car then had a complete mechanical overhaul, and between 2000 and had previously been kept in a heated garage and mostly used for weddings. The previous vendor advised us that he has no reason to believe that the recorded mileage of 61,024 is anything but genuine. Restoration invoices are on file and the car also comes with a V5C registration document.
Please contact us on 01508 530491 and speak to Roger or Marc for further details.
Stratton Motor Company serving you since 1972.
- Believed genuine 61024 miles from new
- Ex-Geneva Motor Show
- Rare and exclusive Flying Spur four-door model
- Restored while in the previous ownership